"Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the
drink, taste the fruit." - Henry David Thoreau





Wednesday, September 22, 2010

End of Summer Quick Din

The other night I had a million things going on and was in need of a quick dinner. I had no time to run out anywhere and I was starving. I spotted the fresh tomato that had come from my garden, fully ripe, sitting on my kitchen counter and it reminded me of a favorite quick meal that I had somehow forgotten about until now. 
Sometimes it's easy to overlook the little things, and how the most simple, minimal ingredient meals can be the most healthy and most satisfying. I sliced up my summer tomato and topped it with the fresh mozarella I had leftover in my fridge, and then topped it off with some s&p, dried oregano, and a drizzle of olive oil. I never even made it from the kitchen counter to the kitchen table - I devoured it before I could get there. (Although I did stop for a moment, for the sake of this blog, to snap a quick pic from my camera phone). A small slice of fresh bread and glass of wine later, my belly was full and I was ready to work. What's nice is that it's a meal you can enjoy all year round, yet the freshness of the summer tomato really makes you stop and savor just a bit more than normal. If you're having a party or just a few friends over, this is a quick and easy app to put out that also looks great on the table and is light and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment