"Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the
drink, taste the fruit." - Henry David Thoreau





Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer Movies: Eat Pray Love?

I recently saw the movie Eat Pray Love. I have to admit that I was really excited about the film because I had read the book and really enjoyed it. I tend to like books that are true stories, and I think that Elizabeth Gilbert did such a great job telling hers.

I was at work when the links to the trailers popped up on my computer. It was 8:15 am and I was still half asleep at my desk when I clicked on the "watch now" button on my screen. My tiny cubicle was instantly filled with lush scenery, the beautiful faces of Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem and James Franco, and incredible music. In just under three minutes I had seen close ups of authentic Italian food, the inside of an Indian ashram, and the beautiful beaches of Bali. Absolutely gorgeous, and so inspiring. What a great way to start the day! And then, the preview was over.

I became very aware of where I was when all of the beautiful sights and sounds came to a halt and I was left with nothing but the drone of the copier machine. I became even more aware when my co-worker shuffled by in her clogs with three leftover Krispy Kreme donuts - one in each hand, and one hanging out of her mouth. Yes, now I remember. I am sitting at a shitty desk in corporate America, wanting to pluck my stache hairs out one by one because maybe it would take my mind off the fact that I am not in Bali with Javier Bardem. Thanks for the reminder, Julia!

Beautiful scenery aside, I was overall not a fan of the movie. I felt that it dragged on a bit and that if I hadn't read the book, I would probably be very disappointed. I am adding this to the list of times that the box office has stolen my money *sigh*. What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment